Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunshine Skyway Bridge Sunrise

This is the time of year when the sun rises right between the spans of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Every year, around this time I start going there to check out where the sun is because it only rises between the spans for 2 days from this spot. Every year it's at a different time to complicate things even further.

I went for the first time on October 27th. It is impossible to tell where it rose because it was hidden by the heavy cloud cover. If I can get up in the morning, I'm going to go back to check it out.

Unfortunately, the jpg compression took a lot of the beautiful color and contrast in the image away.

This image was shot on a tripod, at ISO 200 to keep the noise down, for 1/25th sec at F4 using partial metering in aperture priority. Nothing other than straightening the horizon was done in post processing with Adobe Lightroom 2.5.

6 comments:

Jim S said...

Don't you just hate what happens to images when they get compressed for the web? I couldn't stand seeing what happened to so many of my images and that's why I wound converting my journal to its current "big picture" format a few years ago. I bet this one looks really nice at a decent size without compression.

Mango said...

Loyce, this takes my breath away! What a beautiful scene to wake up to, made even more wonderful by knowing perfect balance occurs only two days of the year. Awesome!

Unknown said...

You got that right, Jim. This is really beautiful on my monitor full size. It has vibrant yellows, reds, oranges with a little magenta to make it pop. When I saw what the compression did to it, I was so disappointed. It looks so flat! What a shame.

Unknown said...

Margo, it is beautiful first thing in the morning. So many people just don't want to get out of bed that early. They don't know what they're missing. I go for the sunrise, then some early morning birds, then I go home and back to bed for a nap. I just love sunrises.

WatchFan1 said...

Lovely picture, Loyce....Unfortunately not too many sunrise shots for me just yet....;-) I am more of a 'sun-set' type of guy as I am having a horrible time to get up that early ..LOL !

Unknown said...

Thank you, Milos. I'm not crazy about getting up that early either, but I know I can go back to bed as soon as I get home; you can bet I do just that, too!