Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tree Bark Figures



I've always had a fascination with faces and figures in tree bark the way some people have with clouds. These three images were all found in my back yard.

I think the first one looks like a pig or an old Asian man. I can't make up my mind which. Maybe one of you can tell me. This one was found in my Camphor tree.

The next one looks like an angry old man. He's on the side of a Maleleuca tree.

The last one looks like a Victorian woman on my Avocado tree. One of these days, I think I'll paint her. Wouldn't that be neat? I'm wondering, though, if acrylic paints would hurt the tree, or if the lacquer covering would hurt the tree. Anyone have any idea?

Let me know your thoughts.

4 comments:

Jason Collin Photography said...

This is a pretty cool Loyce. I thought the first one might have been carved even.

Unknown said...

I've been doing this for quite some time. Almost everytime I go into the woods, I'm looking for these. I have a page on my website for a few of them.

It really gets one thinking, doesn't it?

Mango said...

Loyce, your tree bark shots are so cool--like Rorschach tests! In the first one I see the face of a bob cat; in the second, a weeping billy goat; in the third, your lady, but she's a tired slave woman. Thanks for this interesting exercise!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you like these, Margo. It's a fascinating little exercise that I like to do now and then. It trains me eye, I think.

I also like to make photos of funny signs, whenever I come across them.