Friday, November 6, 2009

Safety Harbor Pier

Yes, this is yet another photo of the Safety Harbor Pier taken from the Safety Harbor Marina on our regular Monday Meetup. When I saw this image import from my media card, I couldn't believe my eyes.

I remembered making these photos, but thought they were lost on the card. However, the other night my roommate asked me to take a couple pictures for him, and I used my Canon 20-D, instead of my usual 40-D. Now I know where the photos went! It really stinks getting old. :)

Most of the time at the Monday night meetups I don't shoot any photos. But this particular evening, I just had to capture these amazing clouds and reflections on the still water. This is one of the compositions I made.

Settings used for this shot were ISO 200, 1/80 at F9.0 to get a decent depth of field. If I had bumped up my ISO to 400, I would've been able to use F11, but that would've meant I'd have to deal with some digital noise in my shot. I'd rather not have to deal with it if it can be avoided. The camera was set in Aperture Priority mode and I used partial metering on the sky to be sure it wouldn't wash out. I used my Canon 18-55mm IS lens at 18mm, also to get a good depth of field and a nice wide angle of this scene.

4 comments:

Jim S. said...

Nice job holding the color in the sky. The reflections are great and the color palette in this image is real pleasing to the eye.

Mango said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! This is the image I will carry in my heart as I depart Safety Harbor tomorrow morning. A great one, Loyce! Off to Wine Festival!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. It's one of my favorite images of the Safety Harbor Pier.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. Enjoy the Wine Festival and have a safe trip. We'll see you when you come back.