Monday, November 9, 2009

Common Primrose Willow & Honey Bee

While on one of my teaching meetups, I spotted this Honey Bee working so hard to get at the pollen in this Common Primrose Willow. He seemed to be trying out for yoga competition with all the positions he was getting into. This one has him in an upside down position, laying on his shoulders. It was fun watching him work so hard to get at that little bit of pollen.

For some reason, I really like these wild flowers. Maybe because of their bright yellow color; just like a ray of sunshine.

Settings used for this shot, 1/400 at F7.1, aperture priority, partial metering on the flower, ISO 400 and 55-250mm lens at 250. It was pretty windy, so I upped the ISO to give me a higher shutter speed to stop any action that might have occurred with the wind. The image was slightly cropped for composition in Lightroom.

4 comments:

Mango said...

Unique shot, Loyce. Your bee is doing plow position or threading the needle, over on his shoulder--a good little yogi. I love the color and composition. Already missing the Bay terribly but critters are happy I'm back on the farm!

Jim S said...

Thanks for another nice post Loyce. Your blog is like a field guide for me. I just learned the name of another plant that I've photographed many times without ever knowing what it was.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim. I'm glad I'm helping you with your IDs. :)

Unknown said...

I love the yoga term--I'll have to remember that one.

Thank you for your very nice comment, and I'm glad you got home safe and sound.

See you in December!