Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Causeway Memorial Bridge


Last Saturday, Frank and I took a few people from our Newbie group to Clearwater to photograph the Causeway Memorial Bridge. There's a whole lot of construction going on in the area and it was quite challenging to get a decent photograph without all the construction equipment ruining the shots.

Frank and I have photographed this bridge many times and every time, we try to come up with something a little different than the last time we shot it. I like the colors in this one.

Settings use for this image were: ISO 200 to eliminate noise, F16 for depth of field and to get the star bursts on the lights, the shutter speed was 2.5 seconds, which is 1 stop over to be sure to keep detail in the shadows. The camera was set in aperture priority mode, which I use about 95% of the time and partial metering off the underside of the bridge. The focal length was 25mm and the Picture Style was set to Landscape. Normally, I don't touch the Picture Styles at all. I prefer to leave it in the Neutral position, but as I said, I was looking for something a little different and the I think the Picture Style contributed a lot to the final image.

2 comments:

Mango said...

Beautiful colors, Loyce. This is such a graceful scene set off by those wonderful star bursts. I want to learn how to do that! Great work with your Landscape setting!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. The starbursts are easy. If your camera has an aperture priority setting, just set it to the highest aperture your camera will go. If it doesn't, then use the landscape setting even at night. You should then be able to get starbursts.