Saturday, June 25, 2011

American Alligator

This 'gator was in the process of turning around when I spotted him. Lucky for me, I was able to pan with him to capture him sharply.

Many people who know nothing about these magnificent reptiles think they're pretty scary and panic at the sight of them. Actually, Alligators are pretty docile and won't attack humans unless they feel that they're in danger. This happens when they're surprised while basking in the sun, or when they're nesting. Floridians know enough to leave them alone during 'gator nesting season. Other than that, we can get fairly close to them for a good shot.

4 comments:

Mango said...

Magnificent, Loyce! Super detail in the scales. I understand these scales enable alligators to sense movement in the water. Love the eyes andthe nostrils too. Makes me miss Florida!!! Great work, friend!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I didn't know that about Alligators. Very interesting.

Well, if you miss Florida--come on down! I miss you.

Mikko Tyllinen said...

Fantastic photo! beautiful and mystical!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Mikko; much appreciated.