Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Pier

Last Saturday, I attended a workshop with Manny Pontoriero, "Get the Picture" blog, and a follower of this blog.

This particular workshop was a test demo for a pilot he's planning for a TV show.

We were given assignments to shoot whatever we wanted at each location, then Manny would critique the image we created. We would then try the shot after his critique. It was a very interesting workshop and a lot of fun. Manny picked the locations. Lucky for me, they were right near my home, so I didn't have to travel very far.

The top photo is one of the ones I shot, the bottom shows Manny's change after his critique. His feeling was that I really wasn't showing my subject in my shot. He couldn't figure out what I was photographing, so he suggested I use framing to show just the pier eliminating the boat in the foreground. That way, the "subject" was clearly defined.

For a closer look, just click on the photo and it'll bring you to a larger version.

Let me know if you all agree or disagree. I'd be most interested to know what you all think.

7 comments:

Brenda Knoll said...

I like the first one with the sailboat very much. The subject to me is the St. Pete waterfront.
I think the second one looks "plain".

Joey said...

My opinion is this: Both photos are overall Landscape shots (or seascape, whichever is preferred). In your shot, the boat is a subject within the Landscape. Something to draw the eye to and create character within a typical Landscape shot. His shot is a typical Landscape shot with no subject at all. Being so distant of a shot, the subject is the complete view, which looks flat, with only a horizon as a subject. If he intended the building to be the subject, or the pier itself, then he needed a creative angle to bring the pier up front in the photo, or a closer take on the building itself. Maybe off to the side, but brought to the forefront. With the scene plastered to the horizon, it is very uninteresting. I would agree with him that your photo has brought the boat up front as the subject, with a picturesque background. But I disagree that he has repaired the subject with a straight Landscape shot. The whole scene is now the subject and not any particular item within view. Does this make sense? It comes from an average "Joe" with an eye for artistic subject matter! Nice photo!

Mango said...

I see what Manny means about being clear about your subject and I am going to think about that in the future. I really prefer your first shot, however. The boat in the foreground gives perspective and makes the shot so interesting. The clouds are awesome too. I'm sure Manny's workshop was very good and I'm sorry I missed it.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Brenda. When Manny asked me to define my subject, I told him it was the Pier and the waterfront around it.

I understood what his feelings were about the boat being a distraction. However, I like the first photo better as well.

Unknown said...

Hi Joey. I never knew you were so good at critiquing a photo or art work.

I do agree with you. Maybe if the boat were the subject, the first photo would've worked. Manny did say that.

I agree that the second is rather plain and very cliche. I've seen too many photos with trees used as framing. As a matter of fact, I used to use trees in the same manner.

I still prefer my original photo, though.

Unknown said...

Hi Margo. You're right, and I did learn about distracting elements and the workshop was very interesting.

He did a wonderful job with it. I too, will be thinking about what the subject really is and strive to better define it in the future.

Mikko Tyllinen said...

Fantastic photos! love the sky its create such a mystical mood! :)