Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Post Office, Plainfield, CT

These are one of the photos from the post card project my son and I did the other day.

It's funny that we were able to find these, since neither of us know this area very well. This particular one was hard to find and just as we gave up, I noticed it.

We were sitting at a red light and I said, "maybe we should concentrate on the house next door. Look at that bay window. There can't be many bay windows on the side of the house, they're usually in the front of the house". Just as I said that, I looked up and said, "that's it! Right in front of us". Sure enough, that was the old post office. The owners added a second floor, but the posts for the fence are still there. We were so excited to be able to cross another one off our list. Check out the post card below.

The picture on the post card was made in 1898. Not too much difference other than the second floor and the tree on the right.

To get a better view with more detail, just click on the photos.

2 comments:

Joey said...

This came out nice! But, one of the things that convinced me the most that this was the same buildings was not only the Bay Window, but mostly the double Chimney. The fancy Porch Posts were also convincing and it was amazing that they were still the same, but the double Chimney is an uncommon feature in any home. I think if the left side cropping was a little more to the left, it would show the Chimney and be a closer match to the Post Card. Otherwise, this was a very exciting moment when we found this location! A very fun day!

Unknown said...

It sure was exciting to find this one. I wasn't aware of the double chimney being so unusual. That's more your territory. LOL.

I had a lot of fun, too, Joey. We need to do more of that. We've always talked about it, now we need to plan for it.