Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pale Beauty Moth


The Pale Beauty Moth, a.k.a Fringed Looper, (Campaea perlata) can be found in almost all of North America including Western Artic, except in Texas and its bordering states. One can find them in coniferous, mixed, and deciduous forests and shrubby areas; adults are nocturnal and come to light, but in the arctic where summer nights are short or absent, adults fly during the day.

I spotted this one in the early morning on the side of my daughter's house. He appeared white at first, but after I saw the photo, I saw the pale, emerald green color. The same afternoon, I found him resting in the grass. The funny thing is that he appeared dead, but when I went to pick him up, he hung on tightly and I spotted him moving his antennae. I've never been able to touch a moth before when they are resting (although I admit I've never tried). I find this fact pretty interesting.

For a closer look, click on the photo.

2 comments:

Mango said...

I love this guy! I spend so much time researching my Tiger Moth (thank you!)that I got completely captivated by this underrated insect (butterflies seem to get all the attention!). I love the pattern and pale green. Nice, Loyce--so glad you're photo blogging again.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margo. I'm glad you I could ID him for you.

So many people are too disgusted by insects that they don't notice their beautiful colors and how interesting they are.

I still don't like bugs ON ME, but I love to take their photos.