Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Limpkin

Most people in Florida don't like these birds because of their ear-piercing wales all night long. They can be heard all over the neighborhood.

For some reason, I really like them. I don't mind their calls at night. I've learned to ignore them. My ex-roommate, on the other hand, couldn't stand them and would always come out and chase them away. A couple of them chose our trees for a roosting place.

Limpkins feed nearly exclusively on Apple Snails and prefer fresh water. When their nesting, their nesting places are easy to find because of their habit of storing Apple Snails. They pile them up in a pyramid to feed their young and themselves.

Limpkins are fairly large birds. They stand a little more than 2 feet tall and have long legs for wading.

To see more detail, just click on the photo for a larger version.

2 comments:

Mango said...

I love limpkins--if only for their name! Great shot--I love the water dimples and the spatterdock.

Does this mean you are back in Florida??? No stopover in WV???? Boo hoo.....

Unknown said...

Hi Margo,

Thank you for your nice comment on my Limpkin. I love them, too. :)

Yes, I'm finally home. The trip to CT was unfortunately not a pleasure trip. We had an emergency with my daughter, who's still not out of the woods. So, I flew instead of driving. Had it been pleasure, I'd have found the time to visit. Sorry.