Tuesday, June 14, 2011

C&M Corporation Pano

This photo is a must see at full size. While I couldn't post it full size, I posted it pretty large. You can see it by clicking on the photo.

Yesterday, my son came over with a photo project. Since it was one of the 2 days that hasn't rained since I've been here, and my son-in-law was home to take care of my daughter, we went out to start on his project. We had a blast together.

He proposed an interesting project. He scanned some old postcards from the late 1800's and early 1900's of this area. He thought it would be fun to go out and try to find the same places depicted in the post cards and try to duplicate the photos from the same angle. We got all of them except 7 that we couldn't find or had been torn down.

This is one of them. This factory started out as a small building around the turn-of-the-century. it's been added on and added on until it's the size it is today. It also is in a horse shoe from the back and as long as the front behind it. (Does that make sense?)

I didn't have a tripod, so I tried to line up all my shots as best I could by using the windows as a guide and took 17 photos swinging my body at the hips. I told him it probably wouldn't come out; but lo and behold, it worked like a charm!

I only did an auto tone in Lightroom on them, then brought them into PhotoShop CS-5 to create the panoramic view. It took nearly an hour to process in PhotoShop, but it worked the first time. I used the Auto mode to create it.

I was really surprised it turned out so well.

2 comments:

Joey said...

This came out AWESOME! I can't believe you captured the whole building from just panning and shooting! Great job! All I can add to it is that the original part of the building was built in 1855 and it is the small brick portion in the center. The next built was the building to the right and then the building to the left to mirror the right. It was originally Lawton's Mill. A textile Mill that produced Cotton Products. A Wonderful Photo and a very fun day!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked this one. I never thought it would come out. Very interesting history of this building. It sure has grown from that little building it started out as.