Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Buckeye Butterfly

I'm giving up on the 365 project. I just don't always have the time or the ambition. Today I remembered, but I wasn't feeling very well and had a lot of errands to run. It seems that life just gets in the way sometimes.

However, I'm not abandoning it altogether. I'm going to stick to the part that I write my blog every day. Today I went back through my archives and found this shot of this Buckeye butterfly taken last April at the Roosevelt Wetlands Preserve in Pinellas Park, FL.

They're not very rare, but we don't see many of them here in Florida. I think they hide or blend in very well. This one was on the grass. Maybe it's their habits.

The Buckeye butterfly (Junonia coenia), can usually be found at or near shorelines, roadsides, railroad embankments, fields and meadows, swamp edges and other open places throughout the South in North America. They can also be found in the Summer in the Northeast.

4 comments:

nick said...

how did u get that close to that butterfly,it is so cool.

Unknown said...

Yes, I got really close to him. Isn't it beautiful?

Yaakov Roche said...

The Butterfly is the only flower with wings.

Unknown said...

You are so right, Jimmy. I always tag my butterflys with "flying flower". :)