Monday, January 2, 2012

Loggerhead Shrike

Well here it is the second day of January, and I didn't get out with my camera again today. My New Year's Resolution isn't going very well, is it? At least so far I'm completing half of it. It's my second day blogging this year.

This Loggerhead Shrike was photographed during a photowalk at the Roosevelt Wetlands Preserve. It was the first time we went there and I couldn't believe how many birds we saw there. The best part is it's local so I didn't have to travel far to get there.

Loggerhead Shrikes (Lanius ludovictianus) can be found in grasslands, orchards and open areas. It feeds on insects and smaller prey like small birds and mice. It usually impales them on a thorn or a barbed wire fence to facilitate eating later on. That's how it got its nickname, "Butcher Bird".

No comments: