Saturday, January 14, 2012

Immature American Robin (I think)

I spotted this immature American Robin while walking in a park in Brooklyn, CT with my daughter, her husband and son in May.

At least I believe it is an American Robin. The only thing that makes me have any doubt is the short tail. If any of you readers know for sure, I'd love it if you either confirm or correct me.

Robins are the most easily recognized birds in the United States because of their distinctive markings. There are no other birds like it. That red breast is hard to miss.

They can be seen on lawns most everywhere in the US. They eat fruit and insects, but their favorite food is earthworms. Robins can be seen in large numbers foraging for worms. Besides lawns, they can be found in forests, woodlands, swamps and in parks.

No comments: