Friday, January 13, 2012

Oriental Poppy Seed Pod

This seed pod is all that's left of an Oriental Poppy (Papaver orientale). I love the star burst on the top of the pod with just a few of the stamens around the edges. It's so perfect; it reminds me of a Sea Urchin they have here in Florida.

Although I photograph babies and people for a living, my passion lies with nature. There are so many fascinating things in nature to look at. All you need to do is slow down and look; I mean really look. You'd be surprised at what you may find.

For me, the Poppy is beautiful, with it's bright orange color and this purple and greenish center, but it's common. I like to look at the details, like this seed pod. Most people wouldn't give this a second thought. They'd look at the flowers and say they're beautiful and keep right on walking. It's too bad they don't notice the rest of it. They have no idea what they're missing.

No comments: