Sunday, January 8, 2012

Night-blooming Cactus

Night-blooming Cactus (Cereus gregii) blooms one night a year and you have to be really lucky to catch it. These beautiful blossoms are very large--from 4 to 6 inches in diameter and exquisitely fragrant.

The are called night-blooming because they bloom after dark only 1 night a year, and by the first light of the day already wilted. There are many varieties of this cacti, and if you look closely at this one it is a long rope-like climbing cactus. This particular one is growing up the side of a Palm tree.

It was strange when I saw it. I had heard about it but never saw one in bloom until one night last May, I was outside around 11:00pm and noticed the flowers on a Palm tree across the street. I ran upstairs to get my camera after checking that they were indeed Night-blooming Cactus and grabbed a couple of shots before going back home to go to bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if i dont call we all love ya austin-alexis-noah-nate-nick-dad.you are sssooo cccooooooolll. we all lllooovvveee yyyooouuu alot.

Anonymous said...

hi grandma did you win in bingo on friday the 13th? (^^^)

Anonymous said...

i mis you.

Unknown said...

I miss you all. No, I didn't win Bingo last night. Maybe on Monday, I hope.

Grammy